Friday, April 13, 2007

Gym day



Well we didn't go scuba diving today. It was pouring down rain and the water was choppy and messy. Yeah, I know that we would've been underwater anyway so whets a little water....? Well the visibility would have been quite poor also, so we stayed in our nice warm beds or sofas :)

Since it was raining I changed my workout a bit... I was going to do a "Brick" which is basically 2 events (harder days) my plan was to bike then run. BUT since the rain never let up I ended up going to the gym. I decided to do an arm/shoulder workout. Basically because I like the look of lean but strong arms on myself. AND it can help me with my swim and possibly bike (theoretically).

Now, I've been going to gyms for probably 20 years now, first with my dad, then with my College boyfriend, then on my own as an adult. I have been taught by many people the proper exercises for the muscles you want to work, but more importantly the techniques to reduce injury while enhancing performance.

It always amazes me when I look around the weight room and see men AND women who lift very heavy weights improperly. Yeah, my friend was curling about twice as much weight as I was, but where I had my arms tucked, back straight and knees slightly bent, he was using her lower back and shoulders to hoist the bar up for the bicep curl. Yeah, she looked "cooler" to be lifing all that weight, but I think my arms look more defined with a lighter more controllable weight. Part of me wanted to pick up a heavy bar. (that would be my inherent competitiveness peeking through) ...But I didn't want to injure myself and I also bulk up pretty quickly and don't desire "huge guns". So I stuck to my manageable weight and watched the sinews of my muscles work and I worked them to exhaustion. It was a surprisingly good workout. Washing my hair in the shower, however, wasn't as easy as I expected it to be. I'm pretty sure I will be sore tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look great!

Anonymous said...

You do look really hot, sis!